Alert for U.S. Citizens: July 18, 2023 Demonstration Alert
U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Alert for U.S. Citizens
July 18, 2023
Event: Local media have reported a continued call by opposition political leaders for countrywide protests on Wednesday, July 19. Protests could continue beyond the 19th. Protests may result in public transportation and traffic disruptions including blocked roads. Recent related demonstrations have been violent requiring police intervention. Injuries and deaths were reported.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid protest areas and demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/foreigners.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper Identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Kenyan visa.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451 U.S. Citizen Services – U.S. Embassy in Kenya (usembassy.gov)
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya) · Kenya Country Information · Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
(STEP) to receive alerts · Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @CDCKenya
If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages please use the following link: https://step.state.gov/STEP/Pages/Common/Subscribe