The U.S. Embassy in Nairobi would like to remind U.S. citizens that the month of September marks anniversaries of many terror attacks targeting Western interests, including the attacks of September 11, 2001, in New York and Washington, D.C., and the attack at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi that occurred on September 21, 2013. In light of these and other anniversaries and the continuing threat of terrorism in Kenya, U.S. citizens are encouraged to maintain heightened personal security awareness.
Potential targets for attacks could include hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, shopping malls, diplomatic missions, transportation hubs, religious institutions, government offices, or public transportation. The Embassy also wishes to remind U.S. citizens that crime is rampant, indiscriminate, at times violent, and happens in all parts of Kenya, at all hours. U.S. citizens are encouraged to review their personal security plans; remain aware of their surroundings; and monitor local events.
For further information:
- We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Nairobi enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- See the State Department’s website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, including the Travel Warning for Kenya, Travel Alerts, the Worldwide Caution, and Country Specific Information for Kenya.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, located at United Nations Avenue, Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya, at tel. +254-20-363-6000, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Thursdays and Fridays from 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. You can contact the Consular Section of the Embassy by phone at +254(0)20-363-6451 or via email at Kenya_ACS@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, please call +254-(0) 20-363-6000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Providing Assistance to U.S. Citizens is our Top Priority!