The U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya, will begin the test of its emergency text messaging system on July 9th, 2015. During the test, we will send a text message to all American citizens who (1) are enrolled in Kenya through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) program, (2) have expressed a desire to receive our text messages, and (3) have provided us with a valid mobile telephone number.
If you do not receive a text message from us by July 10th, 2015, or if there are any issues with the message, please send an email to Enrolledinkenya@state.gov to provide the following information:
- Your full name and date of birth (so that we can identify you in our system);
- The mobile telephone number you provided us to receive text messages; and
- A short description of the problem (e.g., “I did not receive the text” or I received the text but the message was garbled”).
We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service to American citizens, especially our ability to communicate critical information in the event of a future emergency. Accordingly, we greatly appreciate your assistance with this important test.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kenya Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kenya, located on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, at +254 (0) 20 363 6451 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday, or by email at Kenya_ACS@state.gov. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to have travel information at your fingertips. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +254 (0) 20 363 6170.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Providing Assistance to U.S. Citizens is our Top Priority!