Health and Travel Alert for U.S. Citizens: Government of Kenya Announces Lifting of Some Travel Restrictions
U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Health and Travel Alert for U.S. Citizens
May 4, 2021
Government of Kenya Announces Lifting of Some Travel Restrictions
Event: Travel Restrictions Lifted
Suspension of movement by road, air, and rail into and out of the five counties- Nairobi, Kajiado, Machakos, Kiambu, and Nakuru- has been lifted effective May 1, 2021. For other up-to-date travel restrictions, including information on restaurant openings, curfew and mass gatherings, please visit our Embassy Webpage on COVID-19.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Kenya due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country.
The U.S. Embassy is unable to secure a bed or other medical care for U.S. citizens at private or public hospitals, nor can it provide medical care for private citizens. If you must travel to Kenya at this time, you should have travel insurance that includes coverage for an air ambulance evacuation in the event you have symptomatic COVID-19. You cannot travel on a commercial airline out of Kenya if you are acutely ill with COVID-19. If you are already in Kenya, maintain strict COVID-19 mitigation measures, such as frequent hand washing, social distancing in public, avoiding large crowds of any kind, and double mask wearing in public places.
Actions to Take:
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease.
· Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Kenya.
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
· Have a plan to depart from Kenya that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
· Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
· Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the United States.
· U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451
+254 (0) 20 363 6000 (after hours)
· State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages please use the following link: