Health and Travel Alert: Ethiopian Airlines Flight Available
Event: Ethiopian Airlines will operate a commercial flight from Nairobi (JKIA) to Dulles, Virginia (IAD) on Wednesday, April 22. Tickets for this flight can be purchased online on a first-come, first-serve basis at https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/special-offer?key=US-Embassy-Evacuation-Charter
- All passengers shall first read the terms and conditions before proceeding to making the booking
- Passengers should be US Citizens
- Passengers shall only choose the option for One-Way
- For payment modes please advise all receipts to use only credit cards options rather than other forms of payment like MPESA or any mobile money option which they might see on the payment page.
- On the menu selection for class of service only Economy Class shall be selected as that is the only service available.
- On the menu selection for number of passengers they should use only the adult portion even if there are children/infants among the families.
- Since the March 25 imposition of the moratorium on international flights in and out of Kenya, opportunities to depart the country by air have become extremely rare. In addition, restrictions on movement in and out of the Nairobi Metropolitan Area, Kilifi, Kwale, and Mombasa counties have further complicated travel. Neither the moratorium nor these restrictions are expected to be lifted in the near future. The Embassy strongly urges all U.S. citizens considering a departure from Kenya to book seats on this flight immediately. Tickets are available for sale until 11:59 p.m. Monday, April 20.
A decision to pass on this flight is, for all intents and purposes, a decision to shelter in place for the duration of the crisis. There is no guarantee that future flights will be available.
Reminder: U. S. Embassy Nairobi strongly recommends that U.S. Citizens and nationals enroll in STEP, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, at step.state.gov. STEP enrollees receive important information from the Embassy about health conditions, safety alerts, and travel updates. Enrollment enables the Embassy to contact you in the event of an emergency. If you have previously enrolled in STEP, we recommend that you log into your STEP account to ensure your details are current, your country of travel information is correct, and that you set your departure date as ‘indefinite.’ These steps will enable you to receive all our embassy messaging. For any immediate need, U.S. citizens in an emergency can call 1-888-407-4747 from the United States and Canada or (plus) 1-202-501-4444 from overseas.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the Kenyan Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 website for updated information.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Kenya
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451
+254 (0) 20 363 6170 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
- Kenya Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @CDCKenya
If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages please use the following link: