U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Health and Travel Alert for U.S. Citizens
April 01, 2020
Lufthansa Flight Available April 3 from Mombasa to Frankfurt
Event: The German Mission to Kenya has informed us that it has organized a Lufthansa flight from Mombasa to Frankfurt on Friday, April 3, exact time TBD to evacuate German tourists from the coast, and that the German Mission has limited seating available to U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) interested in leaving on that flight. The cost of each seat will be EUR 1200 (approximately USD 1325). At the time of boarding, every passenger will be required to complete and sign the attached form, which obligates you to pay for your seat when invoiced at a later date. The German Mission highly recommends that those interested in this flight arrive in Mombasa the night before to ensure timely processing of passengers. Please note that this flight takes you to Frankfurt; you will need to arrange your own connecting flight to the U.S. The German Mission informed us that passengers should be prepared to provide evidence that they have an onward flight at the time of boarding.
We are aware of the following flights to the United States from Frankfurt:
FRA EWR 4-Apr-20 11:25 United UA 961
FRA EWR 5-Apr-20 11:25 United UA 961
FRA EWR 6-Apr-20 11:25 United UA 961
FRA SEA 6-Apr-20 14:25 Condor DE 2032
The U.S. Embassy is compiling a list of U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents interested in departing on this flight. Because seating is limited, it will be offered on a first-come, first-serve basis, and we will only add U.S. citizens who will commit to purchasing a seat. If you wish to be placed on this list, please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with the names, dates of birth, email addresses, phone numbers and passport and/or green card numbers of all the U.S. citizens and LPRs in your party by 1400 hours today, April 1. If you are not prepared to commit to purchasing a seat, please to don’t request to be added to the list. Seating is limited.
The Embassy strongly recommends that any U.S. citizen interested in leaving Kenya take advantage of this flight, as we are at this time unaware of any additional international flights departing Kenya. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the Kenyan Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 website for updated information.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Kenya
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451
+254 (0) 20 363 6170 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
- Kenya Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @CDCKenya