Routine Message for U.S. Citizens May 22, 2023
U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Routine Message for U.S. Citizens
May 22, 2023
Ahead of the busy summer travel season, we advise all U.S. citizens in Kenya to check the expiration date of their passport and, if necessary, schedule a passport service.
If the following apply to your previous U.S. passport, you may be eligible to apply using a DS-82 passport application form:
- You have your U.S. passport in your possession
- That passport is in good condition
- That passport has a 10-year validity
Qualified applicants no longer need to make an interview appointment at the U.S. Embassy for a DS-82. Applicants may visit https://ke.usembassy.gov/services/ to determine eligibility, to pay the passport fee, and to obtain instructions on how to submit their DS-82 renewal application. Please find more information here.
Applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
We are experiencing long waits for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Services. Please plan accordingly. If your child has planned travel to the United States, you may request an urgent appointment, though there is no guarantee of approval. Please check our Service Navigator for more information on how to schedule a Consular Report of Birth Abroad appointment.
Use of DHL for Pick Up of Passports and CRBAs
The U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce passport/and or CRBA pick-up at your preferred DHL location. This will allow more flexible pick-up times. All applicants appearing for a passport and/or CRBA interview at the Embassy should purchase an airway bill at your preferred DHL location before your appointment. Pick-up services are no longer available at the Embassy. More information about DHL service can be found on our Service Navigator.
Passport and CRBA processing times
Due the record-high demand for passports world-wide, passport processing can take up to 6 weeks. Over the next summer months, turnaround times may extend to over 6 weeks. Processing times begin the day we receive your application. If you do not submit a return DHL waybill at the time of the interview you should expect further delays.
Enroll in STEP
- S. Embassy Nairobi strongly recommends that U.S. Citizens and nationals enroll in STEP, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, at step.state.gov. STEP enrollees receive important information from the Embassy about health conditions, safety alerts, and travel updates.
- U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
- Kenya Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @CDCKenya
If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages please use the following link: