Message for U.S. Citizens: Travel to the United States on Expired U.S. Passports
U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Routine Message for U.S. Citizens
March 23, 2022
Travel to the United States on Expired U.S. Passports
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until June 30, 2022.
You qualify to travel on your expired passport if all the following are true:
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are currently abroad seeking direct return to the United States.
- You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
- Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years. Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for five years.
- Your expired passport is undamaged.
- Your expired passport is unaltered.
- Your expired passport is in your possession.
You do not qualify to travel on your expired passport if:
- You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
- You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
- Your expired passport was limited in validity.
- Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
- Your expired passport is damaged.
- Your expired passport is altered.
- Your expired passport is not in your possession.
All other passport rules and regulations remain in effect. The Department of Homeland Security maintains discretion to reject any bearer in accordance with 22 CFR 53.2(b)(7) and 8 CFR 235.1(b).
Please be advised that currently, routine passport processing in the United States can take 8-11 weeks. For an additional $60, domestic applicants can request expedited service. Domestic applicants also may request 1-2 day delivery of their completed passport for an additional fee. See www.travel.state.gov for our current processing times and schedule of fees. Adults with 10-year passports can renew them by mail instead of appearing in person at a domestic passport acceptance facility. If you have urgent international travel plans, you may be eligible for an appointment at a domestic passport agency or center. Appointments are limited and must be scheduled by phone. For more information, see: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html
If your U.S. passport expired on or before December 31, 2019, please see our website for information on how to renew your passport before traveling. Emergency temporary passports may be available in some cases for urgent travel: Consular Services – U.S. Embassy in Kenya (usembassy.gov).
Actions to Take:
- All U.S. citizens should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Kenya.
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens: Messages for U.S. Citizens Archives – U.S. Embassy in Kenya (usembassy.gov)
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19, including testing requirements to return to the United States.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis pageon travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451
+254 (0) 20 363 6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
- Kenya Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @CDCKenya
If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages, please use the following link: