U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
February 4, 2019
Continue to Exercise Heightened Caution
Location: Kenya: Nairobi, Naivasha, Nanyuki, and coastal regions
Event: Credible information indicates Westerners may be targeted by extremists in Nairobi, Naivasha, Nanyuki, and coastal areas of Kenya. The U.S. Embassy reminds the public of the continued need for heightened vigilance throughout Kenya, especially in public spaces such as shopping malls, hotels, and places of worship.
Actions to Take:
Be aware of your surroundings, and report suspicious activity to authorities immediately
Carefully consider visiting locations frequented by tourists/Westerners
Monitor local media
Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible
Review your personal security plans
We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Nairobi enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
For further information:
• See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kenya Specific Information.
• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency
• Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kenya located on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, at +254 (0) 20 363 6451 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +254 (0) 20 363 6170.
• Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
• Follow the U.S. Embassy Nairobi on social media. Our twitter feed is at https://twitter.com/USEmbassyKenya, and our Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/U.S.EmbassyNairobi.
• If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages, please use the following link: https://step.state.gov/STEP/Pages/Common/Subscribe.aspx