Security Alert for U.S. Citizens: April 12, 2022
U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Security Alert for U.S. Citizens
April 12, 2022
Location: Kenya, country wide
Event: The State Department alerts U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Kenya that general elections are scheduled for August 9, 2022. Candidate selection for national and county offices will take place throughout the country in April, followed by nationwide campaigning.
Election-related demonstrations may occur, possibly blocking key intersections and resulting in widespread traffic jams. Violence associated with demonstrations may also occur, ranging from rock throwing to police using force. Strikes and other protest activity related to economic conditions occur regularly.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Kenyan visa.
- U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451
+254 (0) 20 363 6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
- Kenya Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @CDCKenya
If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages, please use the following link: