Security Alert for U.S. Citizens August 2, 2022 Kenya General Elections
U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Security Alert for U.S. Citizens
August 2, 2022
Kenya General Elections
Location: Kenya, countrywide
Kenya is scheduled to hold elections on August 9, 2022. Campaigning for local and national offices is fully underway. Kenya has periodically experienced some pre-electoral violence during election cycles.
Election-related demonstrations and rallies regularly take place in the runup to the election and are likely to continue, at times blocking key intersections and causing traffic jams. Demonstrations may occasionally be violent, requiring police intervention. Strikes and other protest activities related to economic conditions occur regularly.
Out of an abundance of caution, the Embassy has imposed movement restrictions on personnel in Kisumu. The State Department reminds U.S. citizens of the continued need for sustained vigilance.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a copy of the bio-page of your U.S. passport with a copy of a current Kenyan visa.
- U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri+254 (0) 20 363 6451
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
- Kenya Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @CDCKenya
If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages please use the following link: