Security Alert for U.S. Citizens: Kenya General Elections
U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Security Alert for U.S. Citizens
August 15, 2022
Kenya General Elections
Location: Kenya, countrywide
The 2022 Kenyan presidential results were announced on August 15, 2022. Large crowds may assemble in parts of the country in response to the announcement.
Election-related demonstrations and rallies regularly take place during elections and are likely to continue, at times blocking key intersections and causing traffic jams. Demonstrations may occasionally be violent, requiring police intervention.
Actions to Take:
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Avoid crowds.
· Avoid demonstrations.
· Keep a low profile.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
· Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
· Review your personal security plans.
· Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
· Carry proper identification, including a copy of the bio-page of your U.S. passport with a copy of a current Kenyan visa.
· U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri+254 (0) 20 363 6451
U.S. Citizen Services – U.S. Embassy in Kenya (usembassy.gov)
· State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @
If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages please use the following link: