U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Security Alert for U.S. Citizens
March 31, 2022
Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Nairobi Kenya March 31, 2022
Location: Kenya, countrywide
Event: Terrorist groups have a history of carrying out attacks in Kenya during Ramadan (April 2-May 2) and Easter (April 17). U.S. citizens are reminded of the need for heightened awareness and caution during this time of increased personal safety and security concerns.
The National Police Service of Kenya issued a statement about enhancing security through April 2022 at public venues throughout the country as there is a heightened risk of terrorism during the holiday season. Terrorist incidents could occur at any time targeting Westerners or Western interests at places of worship, sporting and other entertainment venues, touristic locations, shopping malls, major thoroughfares, public transit stations, and ports. During this time, there is also an increased risk of kidnappings. U.S. citizens should expect to see heavy local police presence near and around these locations.
Actions to Take:
- Do not use set travel patterns; alter routes and times of arrival and departure.
- Avoid traveling alone.
- Avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Limit movement to daylight hours and use caution if you choose to walk or drive at night.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Stay alert, especially in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Kenya visa, as necessary.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451
+254 (0) 20 363 6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
- Kenya Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @CDCKenya
If you wish to unsubscribe from these messages, please use the following link: