U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
April 9, 2023
Location: Chuka, Kenya
Event: Protesters have blocked the road and are reportedly striking vehicles with stones and sticks near Chuka, located east of Mount Kenya. Chuka is on the B6 highway, otherwise known as the Embu – Meru Highway. To avoid the protests, U.S. Embassy personnel have been advised to consider alternate routes.
Actions to Take:
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Avoid crowds.
· Avoid demonstrations
· Keep a low profile.
· Notify friends and family of your safety.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
· Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
· Use caution when walking or driving at night.
· Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerner
· U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451
U.S. Citizen Services – U.S. Embassy in Kenya (usembassy.gov)
· State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Kenya)
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USEmbassyKenya and @CDCKenya