The IEBC is expected to announce results of the October 26 Kenyan presidential election soon, and the announcement may be followed by the formation of large crowds throughout the country. The U.S. Embassy is limiting its operations until further notice, canceling routine consular services, and has dismissed non-essential personnel. Emergency consular services for U.S. citizens continue to be available.
U.S. citizens are advised to stay off the streets during the announcement and in the hours following it, and monitor local news for updated information.
- Rallies, demonstrations, and protests may occur with little notice, and even those intended to be peaceful can escalate into violence. As with all large events, there is also the opportunity for criminal elements or terrorists to target participants and visitors. You should avoid areas of gatherings, protests, and demonstrations, and exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of any such events.
- Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kenya Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kenya located on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, at +254 (0) 20 363 6451 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +254 (0) 20 363 6170.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow the U.S. Embassy Nairobi on social media. Our twitter feed is at https://twitter.com/USEmbassyKenya, and our Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/U.S.EmbassyNairobi.
- Find up-to-date information for American travelers and foreign visa applicants on the State Department’s Consular Affairs’ twitter feed, https://twitter.com/travelgov, and Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/travelgov.