The Kenyan presidential election is scheduled to be held on Thursday, October 26. Nationwide protests and demonstrations are planned for that day. As a precaution, the U.S. Embassy has directed all U.S. citizen employees affiliated with Embassy operations in Kisumu to defer non-essential travel in the Kisumu area from Wednesday, October 25 until further notice.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
U.S. citizens are advised that disruptions in transportation services and delivery of food and other items are possible. You should maintain a two-week supply of non-perishable food, water, and essential medication in your home. Be prepared to remain in your home for extended periods during civil disturbances that may block roads and stop basic services like electricity and water. Keep a basic medical kit inside your safe area.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
The following website identifies key preparations and actions that should be taken by U.S. citizens and their family members: https://ke.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/personal-safety-security-responsibilities/.
Read the Travel Alert for Kenya.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kenya Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kenya located on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, at +254 (0) 20 363 6451 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +254 (0) 20 363 6170.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow the U.S. Embassy Nairobi on social media. Our twitter feed is at https://twitter.com/USEmbassyKenya, and our Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/U.S.EmbassyNairobi.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.