United States Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Planned Elections in Western Kenya
October 27, 2017
Demonstration activity will likely continue today throughout Nairobi and nationwide. Planned elections in the four western Kenya counties of Migori, Homa Bay, Kisumu and Siaya on Saturday, October 28 may result in additional protests in those counties and throughout the country. U.S. citizens should remain in known safe areas.
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kenya Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kenya located on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, at +254 (0) 20 363 6451 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +254 (0) 20 363 6170.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow the U.S. Embassy Nairobi on social media. Our twitter feed is at https://twitter.com/USEmbassyKenya, and our Facebook page is athttps://www.facebook.com/U.S.EmbassyNairobi.
Find up-to-date information for American travelers and foreign visa applicants on the State Department’s Consular Affairs’ twitter feed, https://twitter.com/travelgov, and Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/travelgov.