U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
September 14, 2017
Kenya Travel Alert
The State Department alerts U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Kenya that Kenya’s Elections Commission has announced that new Presidential elections will be held on October 17, 2017. This Travel Alert replaces the Travel Alert dated April 6, 2017 and expires on October 31, 2017.
Rallies, demonstrations, and protests may occur with little notice. As with all large events, there is the opportunity for criminal elements or terrorists to target participants and visitors. Even events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
· Although there is no indication that U.S. citizens may be targets of violence, you are urged to exercise caution and remain abreast of the security situation throughout the electoral period.
· Monitor media and local information sources regarding election-related developments, and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
· Avoid crowds and remain alert when using public transportation.
· Report specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities.
· Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
· During elections, restrictions on traffic circulation, either imposed by the authorities or caused by political rallies, can be expected.
· Please refer to our message dated March 13, 2017, for tips on personal preparedness.
For further information:
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kenya located on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, at +254 (0) 20 363 6451 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +254 (0) 20 363 6170.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).