Location: Baidoa in South West State and surrounding areas, Somalia
Event: The December 13 arrest of former al-Shabaab Commander and Spokesperson Mukhtar Robow has prompted violent clashes in the capital city of Baidoa in South West State. There is potential for violent protests over the coming days in Baidoa and surrounding areas. Citizens are advised to shelter in place and monitor social media and local media as information becomes available.
Actions to take:
- Shelter in place
- monitor social media and local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
+(254) (0)20-363-6451 during business hours
+(254) (0)20-363-6170 after business hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Somalia Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Somalia.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Our twitter feed is at https://twitter.com/US2Somalia, and our Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/US2Somalia/.