Child and Family Matters


The Kenya government imposed moratorium on international and resident adoption on November 27, 2014. Since November 27, 2014 there is no international and resident adoption in Kenya and the moratorium is still in force indefinitely.

Two-Parent Consent

Parental consent is required for U.S. passport applications for children under the age of sixteen. Further details can be found on our Minor’s Passport Renewal (Under Age 16) page.

Eligibility for a CRBA

Most, but not all, children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through issuance of a CRBA and U.S. passport. The parents, however, have the burden of proof of establishing that the child is eligible for a CRBA and U.S. passport, and we encourage applicants to read and follow these instructions carefully.

Although the CRBAs and the application forms are the same throughout the world, different embassies and consulates may have different procedures to obtain a CRBA. If you haven’t done so already, please consult the website of your local Embassy or Consulate to learn more about local procedures for applying for a CRBA and for instructions on how to schedule an appointment for this service.

For information on what you need to know if you are considering coming to Kenya to have a child through use of assisted reproductive technology, please visit the website below:


U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Please consult our Births section for details.