Eligibility for a CRBA

Most, but not all, children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through issuance of a CRBA and U.S. passport. The parents, however, have the burden of proof of establishing that the child is eligible for a CRBA and U.S. passport, and we encourage applicants to read and follow these instructions carefully.

Although the CRBAs and the application forms are the same throughout the world, different embassies and consulates may have different procedures to obtain a CRBA. If you haven’t done so already, please consult the website of your local Embassy or Consulate to learn more about local procedures for applying for a CRBA and for instructions on how to schedule an appointment for this service.