U.S. EMBASSY NAIROBI
Information Message for U.S. Citizens
VOTING IN THE 2018 U.S. ELECTIONS
October 1, 2018
The Federal Voting Assistance Program’s website (FVAP.gov) is your one-stop shop for submitting your November ballot.
- Go to FVAP.gov and select your state. Note the state’s registration, ballot request and ballot return deadlines.
- If you already registered by submitting a Federal Post Card Application you should be receiving a ballot soon. States are required to mail out all ballots 45 days before the election. If you have not yet registered go to FVAP.gov and use the FPCA Online Assistant. If you already registered but have not received a ballot, submit a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). The FWAB Online Assistant is also found on FVAP.gov
- Review FVAP.gov to see which states accept completed ballots by email or fax. If your state requires you to return paper ballots, you may use international mail or a courier service such as FedEx or DHL.
- You may also drop off a paper ballot at the Embassy’s visa services entrance. The entrance is least crowded from 1pm to 4pm on Mon-Thurs, 7:30am to 12:00pm on Fridays. There is a ballot box placed at the end of the awning-covered walkway from which ballots will be collected and handed off to the mailroom daily. For this service you may use U.S. postage or download a free postage-paid envelope from FVAP.gov
- Know your return deadline – the date when election offices must receive your completed ballot is set by each state. Confirm your return deadline on FVAP.gov.
- If you have questions about the overseas submission process, please contact Nairobi’s Voting Assistance Officer at email@example.com.
Remember, your vote counts!
Be absent but accounted for!
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kenya Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kenya located on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, at +254 (0) 20 363 6451 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +254 (0) 20 363 6170.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow the U.S. Embassy Nairobi on social media. Our twitter feed is athttps://twitter.com/USEmbassyKenya, and our Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/U.S.EmbassyNairobi.
Providing Assistance to U.S. Citizens is our Top Priority!